Today I was looking for recipes using ingredients that we have left over after not shopping for a while. I wanted it to be nourishing and warming comfort food, as we all need a little extra care at the moment.
I decided to make a fish pie substituting fresh ingredients such as fish for more shelf stable ones (smoked fish). I used a whole hot smoked trout, which you can readily buy at the supermarket. The recipe has dill but feel free to use any herbs that you have available to you, whether fresh or dried. Parsley grows like a weed at our place, so it went into this with some of our home grown oregano.
Besides being quite a yummy dish, the trout is a good source of omega 3 which has many health benefits including help prevent anxiety and depression, decrease insulin resistance, fight inflammation and are good for keeping your skin healthy.
In this version I used sweet potato instead of the traditional potato. Sweet potato are rich in vitamin A, providing antioxidants and may help improve blood sugar regulation which can help improve your health and decrease your risk of chronic disease.
Here is the recipe for you. Let me know what you think!
Smoked Trout Fish Pie
- 1½ tbspn butter
- 3 tbspn wholemeal flour
- 350 ml full fat milk
- small bunch dill, chopped (or whatever herbs you have)
- 3 spring onions chopped (or a small onion)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 whole hot smoked trout, skin and bones removed, flaked into large chunks
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (a mix of what you have, I used edamame, peas and corn)
- 450 g mashed sweet potato
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then stir in the flour. Gradually stir in the milk. Simmer the sauce to for a couple of mins till thickened, then add the dill, onions, lemon zest, fish and some salt and pepper. Pour into a large pie dish.
- Mix the mashed sweet potato with the nutmeg. Spoon over the fish mixture, then bake for 15-20 mins until golden and bubbling.
If you would like to use a healthier white sauce, the healthy chef has some great options, check them out here.